This month children will;
Talking and Listening
- Engage in group discussions about poetry: perform a poem
Text Level Work
- Know and understand figurative language in poetry and prose, e.g. simile, onomatopoeia
- Identify clues which suggest poems are older, e.g. language use, vocabulary, archaic words
- Understand how patterns of rhyme, rhythm and verse are used by the poet to create mood and meaning
Sentence Level Work
- Write poetry based on the structure and/or style of poems read
- Read and discuss poems in different forms
Word Level Work
- Develop use of adjectives.
- Use suffixes.
- Extend understanding of prefixes.
- understand the implications of words which imply gender, including the –ess suffix, e.g. prince/princess, fox/vixen, king/queen
- Understand how suffixes can be added to nouns and verbs to create adjectives.
This month children will;
- Revise written addition with carrying.
- Develop a written method for division calculation within 99.
- Develop a written method for a multiplication calculation within 99.
- Solve a range of multiplication and division problems using both written and mental methods, selecting the operation required.
- Mentally add a single digit to a 2 digit number, bridging the 10.
- Mentally find what must be added to any 2 digit number to make 100.
- Know which unit of measurement to use in different situations.
- Choose the appropriate measuring tool, explaining reason for choice.
- Read analogue and digital clocks to 1 minute intervals, calculating durations.
- Understand area - Estimate and measure areas using the cm2 as a standard unit.
Shape and Space
- To understand that co-ordinates can be used to identify a point rather than a whole square.
- To understand positional language such as, forwards, back, left and right.
This month we will start our new topic – The Titanic.
This month children will learn;
- To place the sailing of the Titanic into the correct period of time.
- To understand that different ways of life differed greatly across society in 1912.
- Revise the oceans of the world.
- Learn the route the Titanic took.
- Place the key events leading up to the sinking of the Titanic in the correct order.
- Discuss the impact that individuals may have had on the sinking of the Titanic.
Roots of Empathy
Visit 1 - Meeting the baby
Little Einsteins with dance actions
Reach for the Stars Dance.mp4
Reach for the Stars with dance actions
The Mummy Song
As part of their Ancient Egyptian topic P.5 Foxs will perform The Mummy song teaching you about the process of mummification.